9 styling hacks to upgrade your autumn wardrobe
The nights are getting darker, there’s a chill in the air, which means a new wardrobe! Save yourself the stress and some dosh with our guide to how to style the new season…
1. Belt it up! Seriously it’s the season to throw a belt over everything. Don’t just save it for your jeans – wear it over dresses, shirts, even coats. Not only will it breathe life into old pieces, but it will give you a waist – even if you don’t have one!
2. This season’s trend is for big, voluminous sleeves. Yes, there is a fashion god out there who understands we don’t want our bingo wings flying free for everyone to see. The other good news is that this is a really affordable trend – it’s always good to keep the cost of trend-led items low as they won’t stick around for long! Tuck them into your jeans, work trousers or team with a skirt – they’re super wearable for everyone. Pick one of these gorgeous tops – all for under £25…
3. While we’re talking sleeves, if you want to add a touch of French chic to any outift, you need to roll up your sleeves. Try it on your favourite blouse, denim jacket or jumper – it makes things look that little bit more cooler.
4. Don’t pack away those summer dresses just yet – instead, pop a black polo neck underneath them, throw on some opaque tights and a pair of ankle boots and you’re autumn ready in an instant!
5. Adding a touch of leather or pleather into your wardrobe instantly sasses up any outfit. Swap jeans for leather look trousers, choose a leather skirt over your usual office pencil skirt and wrap up warm in a faux leather aviator. It’s also a fabric that can take you from day to night easily with an addition of a heel and some statement jewellery.
6. Embrace you inner Strictly contestant and wear a little bit of sparkle this autumn. Don’t save it until Christmas. Whether you choose sequin embellishments or a sparkly headband, this is one way to add a bit of light in the darker days. A cha-cha-cha in the supermarket is entirely optional…
7. It seems there is a very practical fashion god looking over us this season! Teeny tiny bags are finally being ditched for the much more useful giant bag. Finally fashion gives us something that we can use – bung everything in it – but don’t make it too heavy unless you want to add chiropractor bills to your autumn/winter shopping list.
8. Try a little matchy-matchy dressing. Tonal dressing looks super chic – dip you toe in the water with some lovely neutrals such as camel, grey or navy. It may seem daunting wearing it head-to-toe, but you will look super chic – plus it’s the easiest way to get dressed in the morning when you can’t be bothered!
9. Go for checks. They’re a classic staple in every autumn wardrobe for a reason – they always look stylish and never date. Our big tip is to choose a checked coat this winter, it will elevate everything else in your wardrobe and let’s face it, it’s the item you’re going to be wearing the most this winter, so you may as well get something that looks flash, eh?